Opening a file retrieves it from storage and displays it on your computer screen. Files can be stored online, such as in your OneDrive, or on the hard drive of your computer. The steps for opening a file are the same for Word documents, Excel spreadsheets, PowerPoint presentations, and Access databases.
To open a recently opened file:
- Click the File tab to open Backstage view.
- Click Open.
- The Open page displays listing the recently opened files by default.
- Click a file in the list to open it.
If you do not see the file you want to open in the Recent Files list, you can navigate to find the file you want to open:
- Click the Browse button to open the Open dialog.
- Navigate to the folder containing the file you want to open.
- Select the file name you want to open and click the Open button.